Traditional Recipe Of Korean BBQ Beef Bulgogi: Some Useful Tips, Ideas & Many More
Do you love to have BBQ foods? Well, you can try out some exotic and amazing barbecue recipes from all over the world. One of the most popular barbecue recipes is the BBQ Korean beef bulgogi. It is a classic Korean beef preparation in which thinly cut beef meat is marinated and grilled. Originated in the northern areas of the Peninsula of Korea, it is not popular all over the world. If you have visited South Korea, you will know that from local street restaurants to upscale posh restaurants, everyone serves this dish. It is a sweet and savory dish loaded with amazing flavors. It surely makes a scrumptious dish for all the barbecue meat lovers.
About the Korean Beef Bulgogi
Before you start preparing this dish for you, your family or your guests, it is always better to know a bit about it. Someone, at the table, can ask you about this dish. And knowing the history, tradition and everything about a dish can not only provide you with knowledge but you can also have an idea about how to cook and serve it. The literal meaning of �bulgogi‘ is fire meat. This is a gui dish which means grilled and roasted in Korean style.
The best cuts or parts to use for preparing this dish are – briskets, rib eye and sirloin. Mostly, the rib eye is used for the preparation of this dish because of its tenderness as well as it is easy to cut too. You can also use the sirloin for this recipe or in fact, any other prime cuts. Originally, this Korean style beef bulgogi is served along with steamed Korean rice and other side dishes. But as the time is changing, the dishes are evolving. Now, you can use it for preparing – sandwiches, burgers, tacos etc. In fact, you can use it as a filling for many dishes. You can be innovative with it. This dish goes best with the Korean Ssamjang which is a dip.
Recipe of Korean Beef Bulgogi
So, before you start preparing, you have sort out the ingredients that you will need. Here are the ingredients for you:
- 1 and half pound of Boneless beef rib eye steak
- ¼ cup of Korean soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves (properly minced)
- 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1 tablespoon of Korean red pepper paste or gochujang
- Small Asian/Korean pear (peeled and coarsely grated)
- 2 green onions (sliced finely)
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Preparing the BBQ Korean beef bulgogi is quite easy. It will not take much time to prepare and barbecue. Follow these steps to prepare it:
Step 1: First start by wrapping the beef steak in a plastic wrap and then place it in the freezer. After 30 minutes, take it out and unwrap it. Then slice the steak across the grain into thin slices (about ¼ inch).
Step 2: Take a medium bowl and combine the soy sauce, pear, sesame oil, brown sugar, ginger, red pepper paste and garlic.
Step 3: Now take a Ziploc bag and put in the steak along with the soy sauce mixture that you just prepared. Marinate the steaks properly and keep it overnight. It is better if you can turn the bag occasionally.
Step 4: Now you have to heat the vegetable oil in one cast iron grill pan. Use the medium-high heat for this. You have to now start to work in batches.
Step 5: Start adding some of the marinated beef steaks to the grill pan in one single layer and cook it. Flip it once and keep it until it is cooked and charred. Keep for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Repeat these with the rest of the pieces too.
Do not forget to garnish the dish with sesame seeds and green onions. Once it is done, you can serve the beef BBQ steak to the guests.
Some essential tips/hacks:
If you are preparing this dish, then you have to be prepared for all types of situations. Sometime, people do not have everything they may need. Here are some tips or hacks that you can try:
- You can use a large skillet made up of cast iron, if you do not have a cast iron grill pan. But make sure that it is made up of cast iron to get the best result.
- If not the rib eye, you can choose any prime cut of the beef. Make sure it is tender and can be cut easily into sleek slices (as mentioned above)
- Adding Asian or Korean pear is very essential to prepare the marinade as it can enhance the taste and delicacy of the dish.
- Use the Korean soy sauce for better taste. But you can also use a normal soy sauce that you may have at your house as a substitute.
- It is better to keep the beef marinated overnight than just an hour or so before the cooking. Overnight marinate can help the flavors to soak into the steak in a better way.
The Korean style beef bulgogi is surely one of the best recipes that you can try in a weeknight for a family meal or even for your guests on a weekend night. It is a popular dish, nowadays, all over the world. You can serve this with some steamed rice and kimchi i.e salted and fermented vegetables on the side. You can also try some new recipes or ideas with these steaks and put them in between the breads to make sandwiches for your children. It can also make a great layer for your burgers, hams and subs. Also, you can try out it in your taco.
This BBQ steak bulgogi dish is surely a great innovation by the Korean. Though the history of this dish can be dated back centuries ago, it is of same taste and popularity till now in Korea. In fact, you can also see this dish getting popular in every corner of the world. If you are a true lover of BBQ foods and love to try new recipes, then surely try this one at your home. You and your family or your guests are going to love it for sure!